Location: Milton Keynes
You will be responsible for checking that all goods supplied to Helix are compliant to the quality requirements. You will ensure all suppliers and Helix Quality, Purchasing and Engineering teams are made aware of any quality issues, so that these can be dealt with in a timely manner. You will ensure Helix’s capability is continually improved by developing best practice quality control processes with our suppliers.
- Manual inspection of mechanical components in a variety of metallic and plastic materials using hand tools and gauges.
- CMM inspection of complex 3 to 5 axis machined components.
- CMM Online / Offline programming using Hexagon PC-DMIS Cad++ 2018 onwards.
- Ad-hoc inspection and measurement to engineering requirements (3D or 2D drawings and technical specifications).
- Scanning and archiving of Supplier Quality Documentation (Dimensional Reports, ISIR and PPAP documents) as per Inspection Procedures.
- Create and populate inspection records in the Inspection Register.
- Liaise with Design, Manufacturing and Quality Engineering on supplier and internal non-conformances.
- Completing, processing and archiving Supplier Non-Conformities Reports (SCAR and Concessions) as per Supplier NC Procedure.
- Review measurement reports and product deviations with suppliers and internally.
- Be involved in Quality Continuous Improvement activities to support ISO 9001 certification and IATF 16949 compliance programme.
- Communicate effectively within all areas of the business and with the Suppliers.
- Undertake any Training activities required to safely operate equipment / materials used in Inspection.
- Ensure equipment used is calibrated and report any faulty or damaged items to the Senior Inspector.
- Inspecting supply parts coming from the goods-in area and sub-assemblies and final assemblies (motor and inverters) whenever required.
- Checking all supply parts against the relevant supplier quality documentation and against the relevant Purchase Order’s requirements (including drawing requirements).
- Carry out electrical insulation tests on Xylan coated parts when required.
- Raise Non-Conformance Reports where parts fail to meet the requirements and inform and liaise with Supplier Quality, Purchasing and Design to manage the NC.
- Ensure any parts received into goods inwards are appropriately packaged and give feedback to the IP Purchasing team where suppliers have not met IP’s requirements.
Required Education and Industry Experience
- Experienced Quality Inspector working in Automotive/ Motorsport/ Defence or Aerospace industries.
- Qualified to a minimum level of NVQ or recognised apprenticeship.
- Demonstrable experience working in Inspection/ Metrology Departments in Automotive/ Motorsport/ Defence or Aerospace industries.
- Measuring components using manual inspection equipment including Thread Gauges, Spline Gauges, Calipers, Micrometers, Pin Gauges, Digital Height Gauges, Surface Finish Tester.
- CMM operation and programming using Hexagon PC-DMIS Cad++ 2018 onwards.
- Basic calibration and process management.
- Parts management using ERP/ MRP systems.
Required Technical Skills and Attributes
- Ability to read/understand Engineering CAD drawings and dimensional tolerances (GD&T).
- Familiarity of general engineering finishing processes.
- Intermediate level in Microsoft Office including Excel.
- Good understanding of control processes.
- Ability to discuss/resolve issues with IP’s suppliers and IP colleagues.
- Ability to explain and report measurement results to IP colleagues.
- Understand and analyse metrology reports including CMM, surface roughness and form measurements.
- Understanding of ISO9001/ AS9100/ IATF16949 requirements.
We are looking for people who are collaborative, enthusiastic, innovative & accountable who want to make a difference.
Note: Willing to travel to suppliers’ sites when required and to stay for a period at the supplier’ site when required (up to 30% of the time).
Direct applications only. No unsolicited Recruitment Agent submissions will be accepted. Any unsolicited CVs received will be treated as the property of Helix.