Location: Milton Keynes
Responsible for supporting the operation of the electronics laboratory and assisting engineers with prototype electronics assembly, development testing, and fault investigation.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do here at Helix. Our e-drive technology has set new standards in electric powertrains, smashed world records, and been recognised with a multitude of industry awards.
For over 20 years you will have seen our products in action in prestigious high-performance vehicles including most recently the Lotus Evija and Aston Martin Valkyrie. We have also supported many motorsport teams to achieve great things on the track.
The main purpose of the role is the Design and development of new and existing test equipment and systems utilised within the company.
- Liaise with engineers to specify electronic development assembly requirements, procedures and assist with planning.
- Inspection and test of incoming components for electronic development builds.
- Assembly and rework of multi-layer PCB’s including through hole and surface mount component technology.
- Assembly of complex electromechanical sub-assemblies.
- Wiring harness assembly.
- Conduct electronics development tests.
- Specification, design, and assembly of electronics development test equipment.
- Maintain electronics development build and test records for traceability.
- Support Laboratory Supervisor to ensure that a clean, safe, and tidy environment is maintained in the Laboratory.
- Support Laboratory Supervisor to ensure laboratory equipment and tools are maintained and calibrated.
- Support Laboratory Supervisor to ensure stocks of relevant electronics materials required for routine Laboratory activities are maintained.
- Any other tasks that are reasonably assigned to you by your line manager, including development activities, which are within your capability and grade.
Required Education and Industry Experience:
- A relevant practically based electronics qualification (at least NVQ 4 or equivalent).
- Experience in a motorsport, automotive, or similar precision prototype or low-volume production environment.
Required Technical Skills and attributes:
- Use of measuring equipment (e.g., Oscilloscope, Digital Multimeter).
- Hand soldering using various equipment such as soldering irons and hot air guns.
- Ability to rework through hole and surface mount components on PCB’s.
- Good understanding of cable harnesses, the use of crimping tools and motorsport grade connectors.
- Good understanding of various sensors, encoders counters and resolvers.
- Understanding of staking, potting and chemicals used to reinforce assemblies.
- Understanding of torque, pressure, flow, and the ability to use mechanical measurement and assembly tools.
- Good understanding of best practices and safety (ESD, MSD, handling) while working with electronic devices and assemblies, especially in high-voltage environments.
- Understand functionality of basic discrete and passive components.
- Ability to read schematics, layouts, and assembly drawings.
- Basics of physics (e.g., Ohms law, power, amplitude, duty cycle, frequency, period, creepage, clearance, permittivity, permeability).
- Understand waveforms, their characteristics and be able to capture these on an oscilloscope.
Desirable Experience, Technical Skills and attributes:
- Experience working with power electronics systems with working voltages up to 1000V and power ratings in excess of 150kW.
- Qualification to IPC7711/7721.
- Use of a combination of measurement equipment to identify faults and debug electronic circuitry / validate functionality of electronic assemblies is desired.
- Experience with any of the following tools / equipment:
- INCA (CAN, XCP, test projects).
- Automated test scripts.
- Signal generators.
- Differential probes.
- Isolation testers.
- Use of various flashing / programming tools.
- Use of Altium designer or other schematic and PCB design tools.
- Qualification to IPC-A-610 / IPC-WHMA-A-620.
As an employee of Helix, you will receive a competitive salary, ongoing personal development, training opportunities and a generous benefits package including pension, car & cycle salary sacrifice schemes, group life assurance, private medical insurance, eye care vouchers, dental, gym membership and income protection insurance.
Direct applications only. No unsolicited Recruitment Agent submissions will be accepted. Any unsolicited CVs received will be treated as the property of Helix.