Powering into the future
Electric power is the future. With more than 20 years experience engineering, building and delivering electric drive systems, we are leaders in next-generation solutions.
- Directors John McLean, Luke Barker, Darren Cairns and Roger Duckworth, having worked together within the Cosworth Technology road engine business, founded Integral Powertrain Ltd. The company specialised in powertrain engineering consultancy and the deployment of advanced CAE systems. In 2004, the CAE business became Intrinsys, a new product lifecycle management (PLM) services provider.
- Building on its early momentum, the consultancy continued gaining pace, winning multiple turnkey OEM projects in powertrain hardware and controls.
- In 2005 the company developed two exceptionally compact permanent magnet motors with integrated inverters, enabling the demonstration of an innovative mild hybrid system. The foundations of the electric drive business had been established. The e-Drive Systems Group was subsequently established to meet growing demand for electric propulsion.
- ISO 9001:2008 Certification achieved.
- The e-Drive Systems Group was awarded a contract to design and manufacture a 130kW motor for a prestigious hybrid supercar. As a result, production of the company’s first series manufactured product – SPM150 – began in 2012.
- The company was commissioned to design and manufacture a series of premium machines for top level motorsport. Offering world-leading rotational speed, they established our global leadership in power density and efficiency.
- Production of the pioneering SPM150 ended in 2014, completing Integral Powertrain’s first full product lifecycle.
- After acquiring a competitor in 2014, Intrinsys grew to become software specialist Dassault Systèmes’ largest business partner before being sold in 2017 to the Addnode Group, part of the global TECHNIA Group.
- Integral e-Drive supplied the SPM242 electric motors and inverters that powered the Volkswagen Motorsport ID.R racing car to overall victory with the fastest time ever at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado Springs, USA. The achievement demonstrated for the first time in a premium motorsport event that electric vehicles could outperform IC power. Integral Powertrain received multiple awards for the effort, including the Royal Automobile Club’s prestigious Dewar Trophy.
- The Flexible Manufacturing Facility (FMF) was commissioned. With an initial capacity of 4,000 units per annum, the FMF vertically integrates key processes and production technologies, securing the company’s performance advantage alongside a comprehensive quality system certified to ISO 9001:2015 and aligned to IATF 16949.
- Ground was broken for the Shenley Technical Centre, a purpose-built facility alongside the FMF in Milton Keynes. It united key IP and Integral e-Drive capabilities and is now the home of Helix. The facility opened in June 2020.
- Production contracts won for five hypercars, including the Aston Martin Valkyrie and Lotus Evija. The Lotus featured Integral e-Drive’s integrated silicon carbide inverter.
- Scalable Core Technology and Product Level strategy introduced with the objective of making high-performance electric drives available more widely and at greater scale. Validated by internal Project XBO.
- The powertrain supplied to the NIO 333 Formula E Racing Team achieved more than 98% combined motor and inverter peak efficiency.
- Scalable Integrated Modular Inverter (SIMI) technology was demonstrated on a Triumph motorcycle.
- The CTSM range was launched. These are the most power-dense, off-the-shelf motors and inverters on the market.
- IATF 16949:2016 Compliance scheduled for Quarter 4 2022.
- The SPM177 core technology platform was launched to complement SPM242.
- The company launched an ambitious growth plan, supporting the growing trend for electrification in multiple sectors, through the enhanced availability of its state-of-the-art electric drives. Reflecting this milestone in its history, the company rebranded as Helix.
Innovative, dedicated, enthusiastic and diverse
Our talented, motivated team is dedicated to delivering world-class electric drive solutions satisfying exacting customer requirements. Based on solid, pioneering industry foundations, our engineers, technicians, production experts and supporting staff are always ready to innovate and deliver.
Accreditations and membership
IATF 16949 automotive quality standard compliance scheduled for Quarter 4 2022
Member of the Midlands Aerospace Alliance
AUTOSAR Development Partner
2004 Milton Keynes Chamber of Commerce New Exporter Award
2018 Dewar Trophy, presented by the Royal Automobile Club
2018 Race Powertrain of the Year, presented by RaceTech Magazine (World Motorsport Symposium)
2018 Business of the Year, presented by Milton Keynes Business Achievement Awards
Our brand is important to us, it is at the heart of everything we do.Learn more
At Helix we believe that sustainability should be exciting.Learn more
Working at HelixLearn more